[zb4osgi Dev] Knowing the Network Key

Stefano 'Kismet' Lenzi kismet.sl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 01:07:26 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Philipp Buluschek <
philipp.buluschek at adhoco.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I want to sniff the ZigBee communication between my HA devices and the
> ZB4O coordinator. For this I guess I need the current network key.
> Is there a way to get it in ZB4O?

I'm sorry, but ZB4O does not provide any tool for "crack" ZigBee network
key.

> Also, if I understand correctly, the CC2531ZNP dongle doesn't save any
> data (PANID,CHANNEL etc) and always restarts fresh.

No, it is the other way around, in general unless you reset the dongle it
will recall the old ZigBee configuration, e.g.: if it was configured as a
router and it was connected to PanId=0x44C3 it will try to rejoin to the
same network.

> This means, as its the coordinator, it also generates a new network key on
> restart (?). If I want to talk to my devices after a restart of the
> coordinator, I must be able to join the existing network. For this, I
> believe I need to set the current network key.
> How can I do this?

Yes if the dongle is configured as coordinator and your restart with flush
on the it will generate a new network and all the other devices as to
rejoin to the new network. In case that you want to control an existing
network, it is easier to use the dongle as Router or even better as End
Device so that it can join and leave without disrupting the network.

Regarding the network key, ZB4O does not support a way for setting network
key, thus if you want to use it with a secured network you have to set the
network key by means of ZTool, we should support for it ( I have created an
issue for it http://zb4osgi.aaloa.org/redmine/issues/207 )

> Regards
>    Philipp

Ciao,